30 July 2007

Diagnosis: Sensory Addiction

My whole life I've had those moments where I realize that things I'm studying and things I'm interested in bring about realizations of an entirely unexpected nature. I chose to do my research on ADHD because of my want to learn more about ways to better the lives of young children who are mistakenly diagnosed and put on drugs at a young age. This week...one of the texts I've been reading brought about great information for my dissertation...and an unexpected realization about myself. What is it you ask?

"Hi...my name is Heather...and I have a sensory addiction."

It's not as severe as it may sound. Frankly...everyone has a sensory addiction as a result of the speeding up of our culture. On a daily basis I use my computer...am bombarded by ads and billboards around town....I listen to my ipod. There are very few moments in my life where absolutely nothing is going on. We are used to immediate gratification...where we are used to being passively stimulated rather than actively engaged. I am one of the millions guilty of using the "I don't have time" as an excuse despite the fact that new technology is meant to help us save time. Instead...we don't know what to do with extra time...and so we fill it with TV, movies, music, food...the list goes on. With regard to ADHD...this is one of the explanations for explaining a child's behavior in the classroom. They're used to being constantly stimulated so in a classroom where things move slower...they have to get up and act out to keep the stimulation level high. Makes sense. Turns out...I have the same problem. Today...there I was sitting in a beautiful serene park...attempting to read..and realizing that every couple of minutes I had to move my legs...look up at passers by...check the time on my cell phone...re-read a paragraph because I'd been daydreaming or thinking about the rest of my evening. All in all...really stupid things. But I've apparently gotten so used to constantly doing something...that when it comes to sitting down to focus...I find it to be one of the most difficult things to do. The most devastating part is the recognition that by constantly seeking stimulation...we have a tendency to overlook and be insensitive to the richness of the simple, mundane life around us.

They say the first step is admitting addiction. Step 2...an attempt at deliberate living and a slowing down of my life. I don't ever want to over-do, over-think, over-thing my life to the point at which I can't enjoy a silent moment to myself. Just goes to show that even the things you do deliberately will never turn out as you expect. I didn't know when I began my research that I'd be learning as much to help young children as to help myself. It's a late realization about why I feel I've been guided to do this research and also to be in London...a place full of stimulation, but where, amazingly I've been able to simplify my life and come into greater connection with myself. It's why I can't leave yet...there's still too much to do :)

[Side note...10 minutes later...I realize that I'm so into needing to find things to do that I've spent the last 10 minutes searching for a picture to go with this blog cause...well...who doesn't love a blog AND a picture?!? That is until I realized I was trying to overstimulate the readers of my blog! Ooops! Realized...and therefore...no picture]

3 comments:

~L said...

Hey Heather,

Very interesting stuff there. I'm totally a sensory addict too! ;) I love reading your blog, I'll just live vicariously through you! And you can always check out my blog and vicariously live the life of staying home with an 18month old every day! Although I haven't updated mine in quite a while....

Anonymous said...

Oh Mi Goodness... you are so freaking funny. The great part was the I actually read your blog backwards... hahaha.
I can't wait to visit in September!

Lacey VanRemoortere said...

Hey HEy HEZ,
So I love this blog entry! Actually for my final paper (not quite a thesis) I talked about the library and its survival in the over-sensory world we live in. The quote most people use is "We don't need books anymore, paper is going to be of no use!" Also I talked about how leisure reading is extremely important to the success of College students. Because like you said many students can't even sit down and read a book, becuase they are so use to the overload of information constantly bombarding them. I try everyday to sit down and a read with no music no distractions and it is amazing I look forward to it everyday. I am on the computer everyday all day so I am constantly reading blogs and doing all sorts of stuff. I just want to come home and read! Information and sensory overload is a huge problem we are going to face in the future especially for teachers and libraries! Actually you should check out this article "Archimedes, reading, and the sustenance of academic research culture in library instruction" It talks all about sensory overload in college-age students. I know you probably have plenty to read with your dissertation and everything but I thought it was a fun article. Well I really enjoy your blog and I love podcasts too! You should also check out This American life I love it and of course Fresh Air! I love NPR but I think that is because I am Librarian (well hopefully soon to be). Have a great day and I wish you all the focus in the world.