06 December 2006

Internal Meanderings

I had a really fantastic day, in a very ordinary way, but in a way that makes me realize what I'm doing here in London. And I began to think that so far, this blog has focused on where I've been physically, not necessarily where I've been mentally. So what you have here is a recap of my day and simply what's on my mind because I had to tell someone...and better that it be all of you!

The early part of my day consisted mainly of reading about Christianity and Africa, attending a lecture on African American religion, discussing both of the above with other MA students in our seminar and then grocery shopping (a fun task for me because I like to eat!). That was all pretty much status quo. A regular day in the london life of Heather. My day began to take on some meaning at about 4:30pm when I attended a lecture on Technological novelty and temporality (don't worry...I didn't really know what I was going to learn about either). The talk, though interesting in its own right, was more interesting to me because of the context in which it was given...the woman, an anthropologist with a PhD who was employed by intel to do research. It's probably not anything new to some of you, nor actually to me, but it really struck me because it was the first time I really let myself think that I could completely combine my academic self with my professional self. I could be one in the same...be an academic from within a corporation. Utlize all this theory and rhetoric and research I'm doing to really effect change somewhere from the inside out. Really...I thought that was cool.

When the talk was over the day's theme of "Interconnectedness" continued because we all went to the pub (where so many outings and even innings end up in London). I by chance met a tutor who will be lecturing in one of my courses, the one I have to present for, and had some fantastically interesting chats with people from other programs whom I knew but not in the same way before. And as I sat there I was struck by the realization that for so long I've had this belief that you are who you need to be in whatever area of your life...student...employee...friend...etc. And I naively kept these parts of my world rather separate - thinking that to be a good student or employee...you do your work and go home. But here...you do your work, you talk about it...and then you go to the pub and you talk about it and everything else under the planet some more. There is no dividing line between the student Heather and the social Heather...but oddly enough I've never really tried to be both at the same time. It's an odd realization I know...and I could very well not be making any sense at all (it is about midnight here). But I just wanted to share that with everyone because what's going on with me mentally...is that I'm gaining a better understanding of who I am as a whole person. Because I can't be who I've been anymore, nor can I be who I will become. I can just be me and learn as I go how all the pieces of me fit together. In the words of Hugh Prather from a little book called Love and Courage that I read and re-read:

"Change is the return of something once known, something that will not be abandoned. I look down the line of my life and I see it surfacing again and again. I recognize it. I am that thing. I am being put back together."

I know this is an incredibly long blog and I thank you for being my journal for today...I just have one more thing which, arrived in my email from a friend today, and seeming fitting with my blog-o-logue...I'll share it with you:

Saint Theresa Prayer
May today there be peace within.
May you trust your highest power that you are exactly where you are meant to be.
May you not forget the infinite possibilities that are born of faith.
May you use those gifts that you have received, and pass on the love that has been given to you.
May you be content knowing you are a child of God.
Let this presence settle into our bones, and allow your soul the freedom to sing and dance.
It is there for each and every one of you .

And now...we return to our regularly scheduled programming...HEZ in LONDON!


I've decided this will be a random collection...so this is a boat on Brighton beach...Sail away!


The title of this picture is "I want one!". A wood carver sets up shop in this little cove just off the south bank of the Thames and sets out all his carvings, most of which are benches and the most beautiful rockers in different animal shapes. Oh to have dispensible income...I'd get 10.


This is a picture of my kitchen...just in case you were wondering. (Note the itty bitty refrigerator...for 5 people to share)


The Greenwich Clock...it really does tell time!! (uh...when the sun is out...)


This is...my head. I was trying to get my whole face...but...I'm a spaz and this is funnier :)

No comments: