06 November 2006

Guy Fawkes Day - Funny Holiday!

It's been a little while since my last post mostly because there hasn't been much going on besides school. Plus I got a cold which is just now starting to go away so I slept my way through almost a whole week :) That's the benefit of not working right now...I can sleep in!

We did have a couple of Halloween parties which was fun. I...the punny person I am...went as a ceiling fan by making a T-shirt that said "Go Ceilings!". It was lost on a few people...but it made laugh. I was unaware that the focus for costumes (or "fancy dress" as it's called here) is still on the scary stuff and not so much on just dressing up. Who knew! We had a good time though and stayed up until the wee hours of the morning. I forgot to bring my camera though so unfortunately...no good party pictures for the blog!

Yesterday was Guy Fawkes day which I have to say is the oddest holiday I've experienced. Basically...this guy (Guy Fawkes) and his crew tried to blow up Parlaiment in 1605 in order to overthrow the king. He put 36 barrels of gunpowder under parlaiment and they were prepared to fire them until it occurred to them they'd be killing some innocent people so someone from the group sent an anonymous letter to tell them about the plot. So...today...we celebrate their great failure by firing off gazillions of fireworks for days at a time! Unlike in Reno, fireworks are readily accessible in the grocery store so there were firework displays everywhere. Sounded like gunfire for 3 days straight! There's a song too...I'll need to learn that! Either way...it was fun to see fireworks cause I love them!

I am headed to Brigton and Canturbury and Dover Castle this weekend so I'll post some new pictures of fancy new places soon. In the meantime, I just added a few more of my pictures for kicks.

Happy Guy Fawkes to everyone! And Happy Full Moon (as of 1pm my time yesterday)...watch out for the crazies :)

Pictures: (1) Cutty Sark - fancy old boat in Greenwich that's cemented in (2) Burlington Arcade in downtown - expensive shops, but its soo pretty! (3) Artsy Sidewalk along Green Park (4) Really expensive Street! If you can afford to shop at Chanel, Harry Winston, Armani and others...go here! (5) Girls on a pub Crawl :) [left to right - Molly, Alison, Joanna, Vanessa and ME!





No comments: